Even though Facebook suffered significant drops in the number of active users, Facebook Messenger is still holding up. And it’s still, globally, in the top 5 instant messengers, as many users still cling to it for various reasons. Now, recently, some users reported that Messenger is not showing notifications on their Android devices. If you are among them, find a way to solve this below.
Table of contents:
- Clear cache and data from the app
- Check notification settings
- Make sure the sender is not muted
- Reinstall Facebook Messenger
Why am I not getting Facebook Messenger notifications?
Solution 1 – Clear cache and data from the app
Firstly, you should check the Do not disturb option. Make sure that it is disabled before moving to additional steps on the list. Additionally, if you see notifications but there’s no sound, inspect system sound settings.
If the DND is disabled and notification sound is enabled, you should reset the app. That’s done by clearing cache and data from Messenger. This will log you out of Messenger and address a temporary halt within the app.
Follow these steps to clear cache and data from Facebook Messenger:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Apps.
- Tap All apps (App manager or Manage apps).
- Open Messenger.
- Tap Storage.
- Clear cache first and then data.
- Reboot your device, log in to your Messenger account again.
Solution 2 – Check notification settings
Now, if notifications for a certain app are not coming through, the most important thing is to check notification settings. You’ll need to check both in-app and system notification settings to confirm that notifications are, indeed, enabled on your device for this particular app.
With that in mind, here’s what you need to do:
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- Tap on your profile pic in the top left corner.
- Open Notifications & Sounds.
- Make sure that notifications and notification previews are enabled.
- Now, swipe down the Quick settings and open Settings.
- Select Apps and then open All apps (on some devices App manager or Manage apps).
- Open Messenger from the list of apps.
- Select Notifications.
- Now, inspect all options and ensure that notifications are shown along with the sound. Make sure to set all Messenger notifications to High priority.
Solution 3 – Make sure the sender is not muted
As you might know, there’s an option to mute notifications for a certain chat or user. You can do so in the app or in the Notification shade. Time options are to mute user/group for 15 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours, or until you manually turn the notifications back on.
Now, once you mute a user or group chat, you won’t be getting any notifications. Which is why you should ensure that the said user/group/page is not muted.
Follow these steps to check if a certain user is muted on your Facebook Messenger chat:
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- If you see the crossed-out bell icon next to a chat, it means that chat is muted.
- Tap and hold on a chat until the menu pops up.
- Then tap on the crossed-out bell icon to un-mute the chat.
Solution 4 – Reinstall Facebook Messenger
Finally, if Facebook Messenger is still not showing notifications on your Android, make sure to reinstall the app. You can also uninstall the Facebook app, just to cover all possible reasons why the Messenger notifications are not coming through.
Follow these instructions to reinstall Facebook Messenger on Android:
- Navigate again to Settings > Apps > All apps > Messenger.
- Uninstall the app and clear cache and data when prompted.
- Navigate to Play Store and install the app.
- Reboot your device.
- Log in again.
Get to know your phone!
If you just learned something new about your phone, and want more of that, subscribe to our newsletter.
We guarantee 100% privacy. Your name/email address will never be shared.