We can safely say that the biggest breakthrough in smartphone camera history was the addition of the front (selfie) camera. So many social apps rely on the front-facing camera and most devices even use it as a biometric security measure with which you can unlock your device. An irreplaceable piece of hardware on any device. But, what to do if the front camera is not working on Android? We got you covered.
Table of contents:
- Restart your device
- Boot into safe mode
- Check app permissions
- Clear cache and data from the Camera app
- Use a third-party camera app
- Report possible hardware problem
The Selfie camera not working on my Android
If the selfie camera is not working on your Android, you can try and fix it by following these steps:
- Give your device a quick restart. Make sure that nothing is blocking the camera.
- Try using the selfie camera in Safe mode. If the camera works, make sure to stick to the stock camera app and uninstall recently-installed apps that might interfere.
- If the camera doesn’t work in third-party apps, check Settings > Apps and grant Camera access permission.
- Clear cache and data from the camera app or switch to a third-party camera app.
- Update your system in Settings > Software update or Settings > System > Software update.
1. Restart your device
The first thing to do is to restart your device and check for improvements. This usually fixes all temporary hiccups in the SystemUI or system apps.
However, if the issue persists, make sure to try from the safe mode. Learn how to enter Safe mode in the next step.
2. Boot into safe mode
The next thing to do is to boot into safe mode. This should show you if is there a certain third-party app that causes the issue at hand.
Follow these steps to boot into safe mode on Android:
- Press and hold the Power button until you get to the Power menu.
- Tap and hold on to the Reboot icon for a few seconds until you get the prompt to Reboot into Safe mode.
- Confirm selection.
- Once the device boots into Safe mode, check your camera again. If the front camera still isn’t working, move to the next step. On the other hand, if it works, consider resetting app preferences to default values or even factory resetting your device.
3. Check app permissions
This is beyond obvious but stranger things have happened. If you want to access your front-facing camera on a certain 3rd-party app (e.g. Instagram or Snapchat), ensure that those apps have permission to access the camera.
In case you’re not sure what to do, here’s how to manage app permissions on Android:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Apps & notifications.
- Select Permissions (or Permission manager).
- Open Camera.
- Grant camera permission to apps of your choosing.
4. Clear cache and data from the Camera app
Here’s how to clear cache and app data from the Camera app on your Android phone:
- Navigate to Settings > Apps & notifications > All apps.
- Once there, select the Camera app.
- Open Storage.
- Clear cache and data, then reboot your device.
5. Use a third-party camera app
This isn’t a solution per se but more of a workaround. If your current (that being stock or a third-party camera) isn’t working as intended, consider using an alternative from the Play Store or find a GCAM port for your device and sideload an APK.
We recommend trying the Open Camera. You can get it on Play Store.
Now, if the front camera is still not working for you, chances are that we are looking at a hardware issue. And that’s something we can’t help you with. What we can do is suggest resetting your device to factory settings. Just don’t forget to back up your data before doing so.
6. Report probable hardware problem
Finally, if you still can’t take photos with the front-facing camera on your device, make sure to take your Android handset for repair. We just hope that your device is still covered by the warranty.
With that in mind, we can call it a wrap. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more articles like this.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published in November 2019. We made sure to revamp it for freshness and accuracy.
Why is my front camera black on Android?
If your Android phone shows a black screen when you open a camera app, that means there's either a bug inside the app or the camera hardware has malfunctioned.
What's the best third-party camera app for Android?
There are numerous third-party camera apps in the Play Store. However, most of them are either limited in picture quality or features. That's why we recommend installing the APK of Google's stock camera app (Gcam). Google is known for having the best camera software on the market, so using its own camera app will be an improvement over your phone's stock option most of the time.
Can't access Instagram camera on Android
Check out our article on what to do if you can't access the Instagram camera on Android for more details.
1 thought on “Front camera not working on Android? Try these fixes”