Facebook notifications (social media notifications in general) can get pretty overwhelming and, often, they inform you about things that you don’t really care about. To make things worse, most users won’t meddle with notification settings for particular categories, groups, or pages. Luckily, you can remove that ungodly clutter with ease by deleting notifications one by one. Or you can just mark all notifications as read and move on with your life. We explain how to delete Facebook notifications or “Mark all as read” below.
Table of contents:
- How to “Mark all as read” all notifications
- Delete Facebook notifications on Android or iOS
- Delete Facebook notifications on the desktop
How to remove notifications on Facebook
1. How to “Mark all as read” all notifications
If some old notifications keep popping up and you want them gone but still don’t want to delete them you can, just like with an email client, mark all as read and move on. Sadly, this can’t be done in the Facebook app for Android and iOS. For this, you’ll either need to use your PC or, even better, the Desktop site mode in Chrome or any other browser on your smartphone.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Chrome (any browser will do) and navigate to Facebook, here. On your Android, open the browser and select Desktop site from the 3-dots menu and then navigate to Facebook. On your iPhone, use Safari to navigate to Facebook and just refuse to open it with the app (tap Cancel). This will take you to the Facebook web client.
- Sign in with your credentials.
- Tap or click Notifications at the top right corner (bell icon).
- Tap or click on the vertical 3-dots menu and select Mark all as read.
2. Delete Facebook notifications
On the other hand, if you just want notifications completely gone, you can do that as well. This is available on all platforms. Everything you need to do is expand the notifications, tap/click on the 3-dots menu next to it, and then select Remove this notification.
Sadly, we are not aware of a way to batch delete notifications so you’ll need to do it one by one. Again, here are step-by-step instructions on how to delete Facebook notifications on your smartphone or PC:
- Open Facebook.
- Select Notifications (the bell icon at the top or the bottom).
- Tap and hold on to the notification you want to delete until the contextual menu appears. You can also just go with the vertical 3-dots with the same result.
- Tap or click Remove this notification.
- You’ll have a short window to undo the deletion if you remove something by mistake.
In the same menu, you can see settings for this particular notification so you can limit future notifications or mute them completely.
Hopefully, Facebook adds a better and faster way to delete notifications in the future. For the time being, this is the only way to do it. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.