Samsung’s mid-range lineup in 2019 is probably the best one yet. There’s something for everyone in this more affordable segment, and if your focus is battery life, you might want to consider the Samsung Galaxy M30s. This is a well-rounded handset with quite a chunky battery. We checked out the interwebz and brought up all the common issues that Samsung Galaxy M30s users reported.
Besides that, we have some solutions along with the listed bugs and issues, to help you resolve them swiftly. Check them out below.
Note: All the issues mentioned in this article are individually reported cases, which doesn’t mean any of the problems will occur on other devices. If you’re looking to buy this phone, DO NOT consider these problems.
Table of contents:
- Phone restarts on its own
- Lags and stutters
- Battery drain
- OTG not working
- Camera issues
- Display issues on the Samsung Galaxy M30s
- App crashes
- Mobile data not working (3G/4G)
- Adaptive brightness issue
- The fingerprint sensor is slow
- The Always-on display not working
- Common troubleshooting steps for Samsung Galaxy M30s
1. Phone restarts on its own
Among many minor bugs and temporary issues, this problem definitely took our attention. It seems that the M30s restarts on its own for some users, as reported on the official forum. When something like this happens without users meddling with the stock ROM, we strongly suspect a hardware failure to be the cause.
That’s why it’s more than recommended to take your device for repair or ask for a replacement as soon as possible.
2. Lags and stutters
Another problem we can put in the category of more major ones is frequent lags. Now, considering the Samsung Galaxy M30s has a mid-range chipset, it wouldn’t be a surprise if lags and stutters appeared in some demanding games. However, it seems that these happen even when just browsing the web or doing some regular non-demanding operations.
For some users, slowdowns and lags started happening after the One UI 2 (Android 10) update. Others experienced it on Android Pie, as well. If you are affected by lags and stutters on the Samsung Galaxy M30s, make sure to try these steps to fix it:
- Reboot your device.
- Update the firmware.
- Try booting into Safe Mode and look for improvements. If the device performs better, continue with the steps.
- Lower the Animation scale in Developer options from 1 to 0.5.
- Limit the number of background apps in Developer options.
- Reset the device to factory settings.
3. Battery drain
This is one of the phones with the biggest battery in this selling segment. The Samsung Galaxy M30s packs an enormous 6000 mAh battery which gives this device enormous endurance ratings. However, users are definitely not satisfied when the SoT (Screen-on Time) significantly drops, and the fingers are pointed at bad network reception.
If you are experiencing battery drainage on the Galaxy M30s, make sure to check these steps:
- Disable background apps.
- Disable Wi-Fi, Location Services, and Mobile Data overnight.
- Ensure that the network signal is strong. If the device is constantly searching for network coverage, it will deplete the battery quickly.
- Disable Adaptive brightness and set the brightness manually.
That powerful battery requires needs approximately 2 hours to charge from 0 to 100 with the provided 15W charger. During the charging, many users stated that the device is hot on touch. Also, it seems that the charging speeds vary for some, as it occasionally takes much more to charge the device.
First of all, make a habit of removing the protective case from the device while charging. Additionally, we strongly recommend using the original charger with the original cable to avoid OTG issues on the Samsung Galaxy M30s. Finally, try not to use your device while charging.
5. OTG not working
Using the OTG (On-The-Go USB) can be quite useful for some users. You can connect a DSLR, USB flash drive, mouse/keyboard or some other Android devices smartphones, or tablets. However, some users are having a hard time with OTG on their Samsung Galaxy M30s.
For some of them, the connected device (M30s being a host device) wasn’t showing. Now, whether that’s a mouse, keyboard, or something else, the problem can be resolved by following these steps:
- Format the USB flash drive to a different format before connecting it to your handset.
- Use the generic cable.
- Reverse the OTG cable (it seems nonsensical but it worked for some).
- Reset your device to factory settings.
6. Camera issues
One issue with certain OEMs that slowly grew out of nowhere is the lack of Camera2API support. Without it, it’s really hard to port Google Camera and take full advantage of that crispy software processing. The Samsung Galaxy M30s (with Exynos chip) falls into a group of devices that, without rooting at least, can’t take the best of Google’s modded camera.
Now, that wouldn’t be a major issue if the stock camera is working well. Which, based on reports of some users, isn’t exactly the case. Even though the device packs a good set of lenses (standard, ultra-wide, and depth sensor + front camera), it seems that photo quality isn’t the best. Especially on the selfie camera.
For the time being, you can check the settings and tweak them a bit. Until a proper GCAM port becomes available, at least.
7. Display issues on the Samsung Galaxy M30s
Samsung’s AMOLED screens are amazing, even on their mid-range devices. The 6.4-inch Super AMOLED that’s on the Samsung Galaxy M30s is great if not for minor issues some users voiced on the official forum.
It seems that ghost touch is bothering some, while others are not satisfied with the color precision. There’s also the yellowish tint for some.
If you encountered one or multiple display issues, make sure to try solving them with the steps below:
- Remove the screen protector if you experience ghost touch.
- Reboot your device and run it in Safe Mode.
- Tweak color settings in the Display > Screen mode. Choose Vivid instead of Natural.
- Disable Night Light.
- Reset the M30s to factory settings.
8. App crashes
Nothing says there’s something wrong with the Android OS like random app crashes. Now, if a third-party app crashes, the problem is more straightforward. However, even the Camera and Phone apps crash regularly for some users.
If you are having a problem with app crashes, whether third-party apps or system apps, make sure to follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > Apps and clear cache and data from the affected apps. Reboot your phone and give it another go.
- Do the same for Google Framework Services.
- Wipe cache partition data.
- Reset your device to factory settings.
9. Mobile data not working (3G/4G)
Mobile Data and poor network reception issues, in general, are probably the most reported issue for the Samsung Galaxy M30s we run into. Samsung responded and offered some insights and ways to circumvent this.
Now, it seems that the troubleshooting steps they provided addressed the problem for some, while others are still having issues with mobile data not working at all or poor call quality due to abysmal network reception.
Check these steps in order to solve issues with mobile data and poor network reception:
- Update your firmware.
- Remove and re-insert the SIM card.
- Navigate to Settings > Connection > Mobile Networks > Network mode and select Auto-mode.
- Follow the same path and open Network operators. Choose Select automatically.
- Reset APN to defaults.
- Reset Network Settings.
10. Adaptive brightness issue
Moving on. The automatic brightness on Samsung devices is, just like their displays, usually well-configured and sensors do their job as intended.
However, it seems that the Samsung Galaxy M30s has a big discrepancy between the highest automatic brightness and the manual one. Users who decided to toggle brightness manually are not satisfied with this.
Some users suggested that the problem lies in the Device Health Service and, once you reset the app, the highest manual brightness should resemble the automatic one.
Follow these steps to reset the Device Health Service app:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Apps.
- Open Device Health Service.
- Open Storage.
- Clear cache and data.
11. The fingerprint sensor is slow
It’s not strange when an under-the-display fingerprint sensor underperforms as this is quite a new technology. What is strange are issues with the rear-mounted capacitive sensor, which seems to be super-slow for some users. It seems that the problems started after a system update.
If the fingerprint scanner is too slow on the Samsung Galaxy M30s, there’s hardly anything you can do except keep your device’s firmware up to date. However, following these steps might be worth a try:
- Clean the fingerprint scanner with a slightly wet cloth.
- Remove all enrolled fingerprints and add a new one. You can also add one finger multiple times to improve the reading speed.
- Reset the device to factory settings.
12. Always-on display not working
The AoD (Always On Display) mode is Samsung’s calling card for so many years. The South Korean giant popularized OLED displays with this among other features. It allows you to keep tabs on all notifications while not sacrificing battery life.
However, it seems that AoD is not working on this device for some users. To be precise, alternative options and clocks (from Samsung Themes) are not working but the default AoD works just as intended on the Samsung Galaxy M30s.
If that’s the case for you, check these steps to resolve it swiftly:
- Clear the cache and data from the Always On Display app.
- Navigate to Settings > Lock screen > Clock style. Choose Always On Display clock from a third-party theme.
- Reset device to factory settings.
13. Common troubleshooting steps for Samsung Galaxy M30s
Enable Developer options
- Open Settings.
- Open About phone.
- Then tap on the Build number 7 times until the prompt informs you that the Developer options are unlocked. You might need to enter your PIN or Password.
- The Developer options should appear in the main Settings menu.
Reset Network Settings
- Open Settings.
- Choose General management.
- Tap Reset.
- Then select Reset Network Settings.
- Confirm the selection.
Boot into Safe Mode
- Press and hold the Power button until the Power menu appears.
- Tap and hold on to the Power Off icon until you see the Safe Mode prompt.
- Tap again to restart your device into Safe Mode.
- To exit Safe Mode, just reboot your device again.
Reset the device to factory settings
- Back up your data from the internal storage (photos can be saved to Google Photos, and other media can be saved to an external storage or a PC).
- Navigate to Settings > General management > Reset.
- Select Factory data reset.
- Follow the instructions to reset your device to factory values.
That should be it. Thank you for reading and we hope this article pinpointed the most common Samsung Galaxy M30s issues correctly. In case you have issues we omitted from the list, or alternative solutions to recommend, feel free to do so in the comments section below.
22 thoughts on “Samsung Galaxy M30s common issues and solutions”
Automatically restart my phone and after hang solve this problem
my samsung m 30s phone is automatic restart and not open screen, its showing Samsung Galaxy M30s only. please suggest what i do next. and get me free replacement hence because of failure model as per service team-9003350891
phone restarts on its own frequently as per local service team – hardware issue , pl. replace by new one – Mob:9003350891
My AOD ‘Biggest centered clock’ is slightly off from the center. Anyone has this issue?
Sometimes after locking phone the whole screen brights up with grains seen in TV when there is no signal. This happens for a split second then the off centres Aod appears.
Hi, My display is constantly in the on mode even after I lock the screen, and its draining my battery.
My mobile sumsung galaxy M30s cannot put number lock
my samsung m 30s phone is automatic restart and not open screen, its showing Samsung Galaxy M30s only. Iam interested to taken this mobile but very bad handset. please suggest what i do next.
same problem with me. are you able to fix it?
Same issue for me.but oneyear and 2 month finished.very 😥
same problem me too
my samsung m 30s phone is automatic restart and not open screen, its showing Samsung Galaxy M30s only
Sreen freezed and struck. Advise me what to do.
sir, automatic shut down the mobile phone and after that no open again. I have so much tried.
are you able to fix the issue?
Same problem pls help me
i am having the same issue right now.
How did you fix t?
sir, automatic sat down ho gya phone ,and no open gain.
Same issues is here in my mobile phone.
My very bad experience with this phone .
same issue is here in my phone. very very very very very bad experience
what have you done?
no one replies to what to do. The same problem here