Out of all people that I know who are avid Facebook users, not a single person likes those annoying in-app sounds whenever you react to something or do tap on posts to share them or expand comments. And disabling them isn’t hard but many users would rather get used to something they dislike if that excludes roaming through settings to find a way to deal with it for good. Luckily, we are here to show you how to turn off Facebook sounds on your Android or iOS device.
Table of contents:
How do I silence Facebook sounds?
1. Disable in-app Facebook sounds
So, how do you silence sounds in the Facebook app? The way to do it is rather straightforward if you know where to look. Just need to navigate to Settings and there you’ll find the Media and Contacts card which holds the Sounds in the app option.
Here’s what you need to do on Android:
- From the Facebook Timeline, tap on the hamburger (3-line) menu.
- Scroll down and expand Settings & Privacy.
- Choose Settings.
- Swipe to the bottom and open Media and Contacts.
- Disable Sounds in the app option.
The path is similar for iOS just, instead of Media and Contacts, there’s a separate Sounds option.
On a similar note, you can disable chat sounds in Facebook Messenger. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- Tap on your profile pic in the top left corner.
- Select Notifications & Sounds.
- Disable In-app sounds.
That’s it. There won’t be any sounds when you tap here or there while scrolling through posts in the Timeline.
2. Check other sound options
While we are on the subject of sounds within the app, we don’t want to miss autoplay videos that start with sound. For some, this won’t be an issue, but many would probably want for a video to start muted so they can change their system volume. You can enable the sound in video playback by simply tapping on it later on.
Here’s how to prevent Facebook videos from starting with sound on Android:
- Navigate again to 3-line menu > Settings & Privacy > Settings.
- Again, navigate to Media and Contacts at the bottom of the list.
- Disable Videos in News Feed Start With Sound.
Same for iOS. You won’t find Media and Contacts, though. Just open Sounds and disable Videos in News Feed Start With Sound.
3. Disable or limit Facebook notifications
Finally, if you want to go a step further and completely mute Facebook, you can’t overlook notification sounds. Now, there’s an option to choose how are notifications pushed to you, but there’s no option to make them silent. For that, you’ll need to dig deep into System Settings.
Here’s what you need to do on your Android:
- Open Setting on your phone.
- Tap Apps & notifications (on many Android skins just Apps).
- Expand all apps and locate Facebook.
- Open Facebook from the list of all installed apps.
- Tap Notifications.
- Now, here you can customize the way notifications show and sound in detail. To disable sounds, just disable the global option for Facebook notifications, e.g. disable Allow playing sounds or just select Silent.
For iOS, the procedure is similar, and here are the exact steps:
Editor’s note: Are you interested in some other ways to limit your social media usage on daily basis? Check our article about Digital Wellbeing, here.
That’s it. After that, you’ll keep getting Facebook notifications but they’ll be muted. And, with that, we can conclude this article. Thank you for reading and feel free to share your thoughts, questions, or suggestions in the comments section below.