RTT and TTY (Real-Time Text and Teletypewriter) are accessibility features that allow users to use text instead of voice when making phone calls over the iPhone. However, some users who don’t require this feature report that RTT randomly Turns On on the iPhone and they are not sure how to disable it. We made sure to explain the 4 applicable steps below.
Table of contents:
- Check Accessibility settings
- Force restart your iPhone
- Delete the Call Log for the contact where RTT appears
- Factory reset your iPhone and set it up again
Why did RTT show up on my iPhone?
If RTT shows up on your iPhone or turns on by itself, make sure to disable it in Accessibility settings. If that does nothing, restart your iPhone, delete the call log for the affected contact (or delete the contact and add it again). Finally, if none of the aforementioned steps worked for you, consider resetting your iPhone to factory settings and setting it up again. Ideally, by restoring it from a backup.
1. Check Accessibility settings
You should find the option to disable RTT in the Accessibility settings. Once you disable this option, make sure to restart your iPhone and check again. If you don’t see the option under Accessibility settings, the current region and carrier don’t support it. But, in that case, RTT/TTY won’t be bothering you.
Here’s how to disable RTT/TTY in the Accessibility settings on your iPhone:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Choose RTT/TTY.
- Disable both Software RTT/TTY and Hardware RTT/TTY.
2. Force restart your iPhone
The second thing you can do is force restart your iPhone and check if Real-Time Text still appears in new calls with particular contacts. Some users report that the feature stopped showing up after the reboot resolved the bug that marked certain contacts with RTT/TTY tags. To force restart your iPhone, press and release the volume up button, then press and release the volume down button, and then press and hold the Side (Power) button until the Apple logo appears.
On the other hand, if that does nothing, try deleting the Call Log for that particular contact or even delete and add the contact again in the Phone app.
3. Delete the Call Log for the contact where RTT appears
As some Reddit users suggested, we are looking at a bug that marks certain contacts with an RTT tag and every new call you make includes Real-Time Text. To fix that, we recommend deleting the call log (Recent Calls) from that user or deleting the contact. Once you add the contact again, the problem shouldn’t appear again.
Here’s how to delete the call log on your iPhone:
- Open the Phone app.
- Select Recents from the bottom tab.
- Tap Edit at the top right corner.
- Now, tap Clear to empty the call log completely or tap on the minus icon next to a contact to remove it from the call log list.
Again, if that doesn’t change a thing, write down or screenshot the contact. Then delete it and add the phone number and other details again.
4. Factory reset your iPhone and set it up again
Finally, if none of the previous steps worked for you, we suggest resetting your iPhone to factory settings and restoring it using iCloud on your phone or iTunes on your PC. Once you restore your iPhone, the RTT mark should be gone from specific contacts. Just double-check if the feature is disabled under Settings > Accessibility > RTT/TTY.
Here’s how to factory reset your iPhone and restore it:
- Open Settings. Select your Account > iCloud > iCloud Backup and back up your iPhone.
- Tap General.
- Select Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- Follow further instructions to reset and then restore your iPhone with the AppleID.
With that said, we can conclude this article. Thank you for reading and feel free to share your questions or suggestions in the comments below. As always, we look forward to hearing from you.