Nowadays, smartphones are much more than machines for making calls. As a matter of fact, making regular phone calls probably isn’t high on the list of the most performed actions on a smartphone. Especially the iPhone. After all, who needs calls with Facetime, iMessage, and other IM services around.
But even though traditional calls have lost their popularity, those who still use their iPhones for calling other people still want everything to function properly. And everything does function properly most of the time. However, some users have reported poor in-call sound quality on certain iPhone models. A problem that you’d want to resolve as soon as possible.
If you’re one of those users, and I assume you are, we prepared for you some optimal solutions to tackle the distorting and muffled sound, and/or bad microphone performance while making a call.
In case you experience bad sound call sound quality on your iPhone, try some of the following solutions:
- Disable Noise cancellation on the iPhone
- Select Data Only in Mobile Data Options
- Try using the phone without the case
- Turn off the Bluetooth
- Try restarting the phone
- Try updating to the latest version of iOS
How to improve bad call sound quality on the iPhone
1. Disable Noise cancellation on the iPhone
Noise cancellation is a built-in option that helps you by reducing ambient noise while speaking on the phone. Good intention but some of the users found it unsatisfying. To disable it, follow the instructions:
- Tap Settings.
- Head over to Accessibility.
- Go to Audio/Visual.
- Turn the Phone Noise Cancellation option off.
2. Select Data Only in Mobile Data Options
There may be a problem concerning your Mobile Data. Maybe your VoLTE ( Voice over LTE) is the one that makes calls distorted, so try disabling it. To that follow this path:
- Go to Settings.
- Head over to Cellular.
- Go to Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data.
- Disable the VoLTE option.
- Choose Data Only instead of Voice & Data
3. Try using the phone without the case
There are some reports that your case can be the issue while speaking on the phone. Because it covers the rear microphone, sometimes may cause distortion.
Remove your case and check your in-call performance without it.
4. Turn off the Bluetooth
Interference may also occur because of your headset and phone speaker. To be sure that is not the case, disable Bluetooth:
- Go to Settings
- Select Bluetooth
- Turn Bluetooth OFF.
5. Try restarting the phone
If the problem is somehow connected to the software, the reset may be of help. To reset your iPhone, do the following:
- Press and hold Wake and Volume Down buttons
- Wait until the Power off screen appears.
- Drag the Power off slider to the right.
6. Try updating to the latest version of iOS
Keeping your phone updated is a good way to overcome slight software issues, probably even the sound ones. To update your system, follow these instructions.
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and charging.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose General.
- Select Software Update.
- If there’s a new update available, tap Download & Install.
These were our tips for a possible solution for the poor sound quality on iPhone. I hope at least one of them helped you restore the good in-call sound quality on your iPhone. If you still have trouble making phone calls, be free to share it with us in the comment section. Or reach us out on Twitter and Facebook.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published in January 2021. We made sure to revamp it for freshness and accuracy.