Nova Launcher is probably the most feature-rich custom launcher out there. With some minor tweaking (icon pack and KWGT can come in handy, too), you can make your UI look any way you want. This includes support for the Google Discover shortcut when swiping right from the home screen. However, it seems that Google Now (these days known as Google Discover) is not working on Nova Launcher for some users.
Table of contents:
- Install Nova Google Companion
- Disable/re-enable Google Companion Feed
- Clear cache from the Google app
- Restart Nova Launcher
- Reset Google app
How do I enable Google now in the Nova launcher?
If you already have Google Companion, it’s easy. If not, download and install the APK (link below). As simple as that.
Now, if Google Now is not working even after installing and configuring Nova Google Companion, check the steps below to address the problem with ease.
Solution 1 – Install Nova Google Companion
This step applies as a solution only if you don’t have Google Companion to start with. If you are not aware, Google Now (Google Discover) that’s usually accessible by swiping right from the home screen, is not available on Nova Launcher from the get-go.
To get it, you’ll need to install a companion app that integrates with the launcher. Now, Google doesn’t allow this app on the Play Store so you’ll need to download and install an APK. Once you’ve done that, the only thing remaining is to configure it in Nova Settings and that’s it.
Follow these instructions to download and install Nova Google Companion:
- Navigate to TeslaCoils’ official website with your smartphone/tablet.
- Scroll down and download Nova Google Companion by tapping on the hyperlink.
- Run the APK and allow installation from 3rd-party sources when prompted.
- Make sure that Nova is your default launcher.
- Now, tap & hold on to the home screen and open Nova Settings.
- Tap Integrations.
- Under Google Discover, check both Google Discover and Edge Swipe (optionally) boxes. Select the preferred theme and transition animation and you are set.
Solution 2 – Disable/re-enable Google Companion Feed
On the other hand, if you already have the Google Companion but swiping to the left from the home screen doesn’t do a thing, there are some things you can try to fix it. First of all, you can disable it and then re-enable it immediately. This simple action usually resolves the problem completely.
Just navigate to Nova Settings as explained above, open Integrations, and then uncheck the Google Discover box. Reboot your device, get back to Google Discover settings, and check the box again.
Solution 3 – Clear cache from the Google app
Now, it doesn’t necessarily mean that Nova Launcher (or Companion) is faulty. The problem might be related to the Google app. Due to frequent updates and many (mostly minor) changes, bugs are expected.
The first thing concerning the Google app you can do is clear its cache. Once you remove locally-stored cached data, Google Now should start working.
Follow these steps to clear the cache from the Google app:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Apps.
- Then, open App manager, Manage apps, or All apps (it depends on the phone’s Android skin).
- Now, locate and open Google from the list of apps.
- Tap Storage.
- Select Manage storage.
- Clear All Data.
Solution 4 – Restart Nova Launcher
Moving on, you can also try and just reboot your device. Alternatively, there’s an option in Nova Launcher to restart it. This is a long shot but it might help you resolve the problem at hand.
- Tap & hold on to the home screen and open Nova Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Advanced.
- Tap Restart Nova Launcher.
If Google Now is still not working on Nova Launcher, make sure to continue to the last step below.
Solution 5 – Reset the Google app
Finally, we can only suggest completely resetting the Google app. The best thing to do (the most thorough one) is to uninstall all updates from the app and start from scratch. Just wait until it auto-updates (or updates it through the Play Store manually) and opens it again.
Configure in Google > hamburger bar > Settings what’s necessary first. Then, disable/re-enable Nova Google Companion and everything should be addressed.
Follow these instructions to reset the Google app completely:
- Open Play Store.
- Search for and expand the Google app.
- Uninstall Google (this will uninstall updates since the Google app is a system app).
- Reboot your device and update the app.
With that said, we can conclude this article. Thank you for reading and, in case you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to tell us in the comments section below or reach us on Facebook and Twitter.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published in February 2020. We made sure to revamp it for freshness and accuracy.
2 thoughts on “Nova Google Companion not working (FIX)”
Thank you. worked for me.
Best Solution !! Worked for me.