Even though there are obvious competitive factors between the two, Google and Microsoft work well when it comes to compatibility between Google Suite and Microsoft Office. You can easily open Microsoft Word documents in Google Docs and even convert them. Today, we’ll explain the simplest way to change a Word document to Google Docs on your phone or PC.
Table of contents:
- Convert a Word document to Google Doc on your phone
- Change a Word Document to a Google Doc on your PC
How to convert a Word document to a Google Doc
Google Docs support all main Microsoft Word extensions (.doc, .docx, .dot) and you can easily convert all other Office files to Google Docs, Slides, or Sheets format for web-based editing.
The procedure is pretty straightforward both on Android/iOS and PC. Check the steps we provided below.
1. Convert a Word document to Google Doc on your phone
You don’t need your PC to convert a Word document to Google Document. You can use your phone and the procedure is rather simple. The only requirement is the Google Docs app. Now, all we need is a Microsoft Word document that you want to save as the Google Doc.
Here’s how to convert a Word document to Google Doc on your Android or iPhone:
- Access the Word document either from your internal storage or open it on Google Drive.
- Open the document and it should automatically open in Google Docs. That is unless you have Microsoft Word for Android installed.
- Tap on the 3-dots menu and select Share & export.
- Tap Save As and select Google Docs.
Since Google Docs are only cloud-based, the document will be saved to Google Drive and your Docs database. If you want to download it, it will automatically convert back to a Microsoft Word file extension. You can, of course, choose to make it available offline or even save it in some other format, like PDF.
2. Change a Word Document to a Google Docs on your PC
The procedure is similar on your PC, with an exception being that you need to upload your file to Google Drive first. Once you’ve done that, just open it. It will automatically open in Google Docs and, like on Android, you can convert it and save it to the cloud.
Here’s how to change a Word Document to Google Docs on your PC:
- Open Google Drive in a browser on your PC. You can find it, here.
- Sign in with your Google Account.
- Drag and drop the Word document to Google Drive to upload it. You can also click on the New sign in the left pane, select File upload, and upload the document.
- Double-click on the Word document to open it in Google Docs.
- Click File in the toolbar and select Save as Google Docs.
This will create a copy of the file that will be accessible on all your devices. Hopefully, that gave you a good insight on the subject, so, on that note, we can conclude this article. Thank you for reading and we hope that these instructions helped you. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section or reach us on Twitter and Facebook.