iOS 14 introduced widgets and they soon become indispensable aesthetic for so many users. And, among numerous widgets, the most commonly used one is probably the Weather app widget. Not the most feature-rich weather app out there, but the stock app’s widget does the work. However, some users are experiencing certain issues with it as the Weather widget is showing the wrong location on iOS 14.
We have a few ways to help you address this
Table of contents:
- Check permissions for the Weather app
- Remove and re-add the widget
- Add location manually
- Reinstall the Weather app
- Update your iPhone
- Try a third-party app
How do I fix the weather widget on iOS 14?
1. Check permissions for the Weather app
Firstly, make sure that the Weather app has permission to access the Location. This is important if you haven’t set a default location and the app relies on GPS services to pinpoint your location in order to show current weather readings. Of course, in that case,
Follow these instructions to enable the Weather app to access your location:
- Open Settings.
- Select Privacy.
- Tap Location.
- Select Weather.
- Choose the While Using the App or Widgets.
2. Remove and re-add the widget
Another thing you can try is removing the widget and adding it again. A good follow-up would be to restart your device after placing the Weather widget again on your Home Screen. There might be a temporary glitch at hand and this step usually resolves it.
Here’s how to remove and re-add the Weather widget from your Home Screen:
- Tap and hold on the Home Screen until the Edit menu appear.
- Tap on the “–” sign next to the Weather widget to remove it.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Tap and hold on your Home Screen again and, in the Edit menu, tap on the + icon at the top right corner.
- Select the Weather widget and add it to the Home Screen.
3. Add location manually
The best way to avoid possible issues with location services is to just set a location on your own. You can select any place of your choice and make it your primary location for weather updates. Just need to type it in and select it from the list of suggestions.
Here’s how to add a location manually to the Weather app:
- Tap and hold on to the Weather widget.
- When the contextual menu appears, select Edit Widget.
- Tap on the Location bar and enter the name of the preferred place.
4. Reinstall the Weather app
The next thing to try if the Weather widget keeps showing the wrong location on iOS 14 is to reinstall the app. Maybe there’s a temporary problem with cached files so a fresh start is a good idea.
Here’s how to reinstall the Weather app on iOS 14:
- Tap and hold on the Weather app icon until the pop-up menu appears.
- Tap Remove app.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Open App Store and search for Weather.
- Install the app, add the widget, and look for improvements.
5. Update your iPhone
Besides the app itself, the problem might be in a system bug so you should definitely ensure that the firmware is up to date. Updates are usually downloaded automatically, but it won’t cost you to check for the updates on your own.
You can do so in Settings by following these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software update.
- Install any available updates.
6. Try a third-party app
Finally, if none of the previous steps helped and the Weather app is broken, you can (at least temporarily) switch to a third-party weather app and utilize its widget. Apps like AccuWeather, Dark Sky, or Windy should be good replacements. Especially if you decide to purchase premium options.
That’s it. Thank you for reading. In case you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to tell us in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you. Also, follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more content about Android and iOS.
Get to know your phone!
If you just learned something new about your phone, and want more of that, subscribe to our newsletter.
We guarantee 100% privacy. Your name/email address will never be shared.