Google Assistant can be quite a useful tool for some but can be quite a headache for others. Some users were vocal about annoying notifications and they want to put a stop to them. We made sure to explain how to turn off Google Assistant notifications and offer some further insights on the subject below.
Table of contents:
- How do I get rid of Google Assistant notifications?
- How to turn off Google Assistant on headphones?
- Can I disable Google Assistant completely?
How do I stop Google Assistant from popping up on my phone?
If you want to stop Google Assistant from popping up on your phone you can:
- Disable notifications completely
- Disable notifications on headphones
- or simply turn off Google Assistant completely.
Learn how below.
1. How do I get rid of Google Assistant notifications?
If you like to use Google Assistant occasionally but can’t stand frequent notifications, we got you covered. Assistant offers a large array of notifications and, while some can be useful, some are just annoying.
Even if you haven’t configured Google Assistant, you’ll get a persistent notification informing you that you should. To avoid that, just configure Google Assistant and disable it. Learn how in the last step.
Here’s how to get rid of Google Assistant notifications in a few simple steps:
- Summon Google Assistant with voice or the home screen shortcut.
- Tap on the Snapshot icon and then on the Google account icon at the top right corner. If it’s not enabled or you can’t summon it, navigate to Settings > Google > Settings for Google apps > Search, Assistant & Voice > Google Assistant. You are now seeing a long list of Google Assistant settings.
- Open General and then Notifications.
- Here you’ll see a list of notification categories. Open different categories and disable notifications you don’t want. You can disable all of them if you want to.
Alternatively, you can navigate to Settings > Apps > Google > Notifications and disable all Google Assistant notifications. Just toggle them off for ease of mind.
That should keep Google Assistant quiet. At least when it comes to notifications.
2. How to turn off Google Assistant on headphones?
If you allowed Google Assistant on your wired or wireless headphones/earbuds, you’re going to get a variety of voice inputs from Assistant. Now, someone might find them helpful but many users prefer for Google Assistant to be quiet while they listen to music or podcasts.
Now, this is a rather simple task if you know where to look. Here’s how to turn off Google Assistant spoken notifications on your headphones/earbuds:
- Connect your headphones to your smartphone.
- Open Assistant settings as explained in the first step.
- Tap on Devices.
- Select your headphones.
- Tap Spoken notifications and toggle off the Spoken notifications option.
- You can also toggle off the Get help from Google option to ensure that it won’t bother you anymore.
- And, just to make sure completely, exit these settings and open system Settings. Navigate to Google > Settings for Google apps > Search, Assistant & Voice > Voice. Once there, disable both “Allow Bluetooth requests with device locked” and “Allow wired headset requests with device locked”.
Have in mind that if you have multiple headphones/earbuds with Google Assistant for headphones enabled, you’ll need to follow these instructions for each. Unless you disable Google Assistant completely. Yes, Google made things much harder than it’s supposed to be the case but it is what it is.
3. Can I disable Google Assistant completely?
Finally, if you’re tired of Google Assistant and decide that enough is enough, there’s a way to disable it completely. Google can be a bit pushy with Google Assistant and not everyone is keen to use it. Which makes it more of a burden than an actual useful feature. We already wrote about completely disabling Google Assistant, so you can learn more about it.
In the meanwhile, here’s how to turn off Google Assistant completely on your Android and avoid notifications:
- Open Google Assistant settings by following the aforementioned steps.
- Tap General.
- Disable Google Assistant.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Google > Notifications and disable notifications.
- You can also navigate to Settings > Apps > Default apps and remove Google as your default Assistant.
And, with that said, we can call it a wrap. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to share your thoughts or questions in the comments section below. Do you find Google Assistant useful or not? Tell us here or reach us on Twitter or Facebook.
1 thought on “How to turn off Google Assistant notifications on Android”
Thanks, this is spot on info