fbpx

Fix: Instagram Videos Not Playing On Android

Instagram has become an integral part of the ever-growing social networks family. Besides standard photos, you’re also able to share short GIF-like videos. If the picture is worth 1000 words, the video must be worth a bit more, does it?

While Instagram rarely has stability issues, the video playback can get stuck from time to time. Additionally, that can lead to app crash or instability or nervous breakdowns. So, if you are experiencing video issues, you’ve come to the right spot. Let’s try and resolve this issue together and get those videos up and running.

Update Instagram app

The first step you should take is updating your Instagram app. Most of the time, the problem lies in outdated version. Because of that, make sure you have the latest version at any given time. The auto-update should do the job for you, but you can look up for updates manually, too.

1. Open Play Store app.
  2. Tap Menu.
  3. Look up for Instagram in Update tab.
  4. Choose to update.
  5. Once it’s done, open Instagram and try playing videos.

In case the videos still won’t play, let’s try additional steps.

Clear Instagram app cache and data

As same as the most of the apps do, Instagram stores a lot of data on your phone. With particular settings, every picture or video you post can be preserved on the phone storage or SD card. Moreover, there’s a lot of cache files that may slow down the app gradually and impact video playback.

According to that, your next step should be clearing cache and data from the Instagram app. Follow these instructions to clear Data and Cache.

1. Open Settings.
  2. Open Apps (Applications).
  3. Choose Instagram and open Storage.
  4. Clear Cache and Data.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Open Instagram (you may need to log in again).
  7. Try to play videos.

Some users use specific apps for automatic clearing of cache. However, we advise you not to use them. Firstly, they take your storage space, and secondly, they tend to work in the background and slow down all-around performance. Simply put, that kind of apps are more disadvantage than a valid tool.

Reinstall Instagram

Sometimes the apps may stuck because of some kind of the corruption. Software sometimes has a mind of its own and the only viable solution is reinstallation. So, if you’ve tried previous steps and the videos still won’t load, try this out.

1. Tap and hold Instagram app.
  2. When the X sign is shown, tap to uninstall.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Open Play Store app.
  5. Look up for Instagram.
  6. Install app.
  7. Try playing videos.

Most of the time, this should resolve your issue. Of course, if the software is an issue. However, sometimes the connection may play the main part in this Instagram wrongdoings. Move on to the next step to troubleshoot the connection.

READ ALSO: Fix: Unable to access camera in Instagram Android app

Restart Wi-Fi router

Some users reported on various forums that the Instagram videos work on Wi-Fi but won’t work on mobile data and vice versa. So, the first step is to restart your Wi-Fi router. Turn it off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it on.

Additionally, you may want to update router firmware and change from 5 GHz band to 2.4 GHz. Even though the 5 GHz supports higher speeds, it’s signal isn’t as reliable as 2.4 GHz over distance. That, of course, is not an issue with dual-band routers.

Reset your Network settings

Once you’ve tweaked your router, let’s reset network settings on the phone. That should fix common connection bugs and let you start from the scratch. Have in mind that you’ll need to reestablish the settings again.

1. Tap Settings.
  2. Open Backup & Reset.
  3. Choose Network Settings Reset.
  4. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Reconnect and check out Instagram videos.

Turn off Power-saving mode

Thanks to one of our readers, we obtained another workaround that just may be the one that resolves the problem. He resolved the problem by disabling the Power-saving mode, that somehow interferes with the Instagram videos playback.
So, navigate to Power settings, disable Power-saving mode and your problem should be sorted out.

Thanks a lot to Matt that suggested this solution.

That should wrap it up. In case you have any additional problems with Instagram, please be free to tell us in the comments, or reach us out on Twitter. We’ll do our best to help you resolve them.

READ ALSO: How to enable hidden Instagram filters

134 COMMENTS

134 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Adam
Adam
May 3, 2017 1:30 am

Galaxy s8…did all that amd IG vids still don’t play. Doesn’t matter if i’m on wifi or 4g i got nada 🙁

Daniel Comstock
Daniel Comstock
June 23, 2017 12:23 am
Reply to  Adam

Go to app settings, instagram, allow all permissions, restart phone

Johanna
Johanna
June 30, 2017 8:06 am

Omg I tried all the tips and it didn’t work, but when I tried your tip about allowing permissions, it finally worked! I’m so grateful, thank you so so much!!

Matt
Matt
May 1, 2017 8:05 am

Try turning off power saving mode. Worked for me

Mike
Mike
May 4, 2017 7:08 am
Reply to  Matt

Oooh thaank you mate!!! That’s really what it is! You resolved it!!!!

Moussa
Moussa
April 29, 2017 10:11 am

I’m happy I’m not the on one. I’ve been facing this issue ever since i updated me htc 10 to android 7.
Tried a lot of thing. Still no good

NC
NC
April 27, 2017 12:16 am

Having the same issue with galaxy s7. Its been happening for a month now. I tried all the steps above

TC
TC
April 23, 2017 1:22 pm

I have galaxy 7 and having same problem since last update. Can not uninstall since Android has preinstalled it and don’t want to disable app. Tried to use instagram help center but when I type in search bar it says I am “misusing feature” by going to fast and I’ve been blocked. There is no valid link to their Help Center or “let us know link” ?

James
James
April 20, 2017 5:44 am

I’m having sane problem recently starred I cleared app and phone cache nothing helped

JC
JC
April 18, 2017 1:00 am

I have same problem. Did all of these things and no change. Videos still don’t play. Samsung Galaxy S7. Last phone update is when this started.

Tony Mendocino
Tony Mendocino
April 17, 2017 12:53 am

I have a HTC One M9 and have been having the same problem since I updated my phones software a few days ago. Also, I can only uninstall the Instagram updates not the entire app since I did the phone update.

Agedbedcrab
Agedbedcrab
May 16, 2017 2:03 am
Reply to  Tony Mendocino

Mine is the HTC M10. The app can be uninstalled, but none of these solutions work. And there’s no way to clear app cache without clearing the whole app of its data, which I’ve done a few times, with no success.

Bella
Bella
April 16, 2017 10:16 am

I have the exact Sam problem with my iPhone. Ever since about 4 days ago videos have stopped playing. I’ve deleted the app, restarted my phone to no avail.

Tova
Tova
March 25, 2017 7:19 am

I’ve been having problems with videos not working since the last android update and I’ve tried all of these things. Both videos in my feed and my story videos. This is really disturbing because it doesn’t seem like anyone else has the same problem as I.

Earl
Earl
March 27, 2017 1:22 am
Reply to  Tova

Im having the exact same problem. Galaxy S7.

Bec
Bec
May 20, 2017 3:24 am

As above, S7 not loading any videos or stories since last update. Have tried everything suggested, switching between wifi and mobile data, clearing and resetting everything and still no results

Dimas
Dimas
April 6, 2017 12:57 pm
Reply to  Earl

I have same phone and exactly same problem like you.

Gray
Gray
April 20, 2017 12:59 pm
Reply to  Tova

I have a Samsung S7 edge and have the same issue. My videos won’t play in my Gallery. And now they have stopped playing in my feed too! Has anyone found a solution yet??

Jack
Jack
April 25, 2017 1:20 am
Reply to  Tova

New S8+ and same issues

Brandon
Brandon
April 27, 2017 3:40 am
Reply to  Jack

Having the same issue on my new S8!!!!

Selim
Selim
May 26, 2017 6:21 pm
Reply to  Brandon

Don’t put your device in the power saving mode or allow the app to use data in the parameter.

Nide
Nide
June 6, 2017 4:30 am
Reply to  Selim

it’s work thank you sooooo much

Daniel Comstock
Daniel Comstock
June 23, 2017 12:21 am
Reply to  Selim

If you have a new galaxy phone just go to app settings, instagram, and allow all permissions. Restart phone and your welcome

ashd
ashd
July 19, 2017 8:19 pm
Reply to  Selim

Took off power saving and restarted, WORKED!

Ccps
Ccps
July 28, 2017 5:34 pm
Reply to  Jack

Having the same issue with s8. Nothing worked. Frustrated!

Agedbedcrab
Agedbedcrab
May 16, 2017 2:00 am
Reply to  Tova

All videos on my Instagram don’t work for me either. I’ve tried everything on this kid, plus a few other things. None of it works… It’s very annoying when someone sends something and it can’t even be viewed.

Dennae Tate
Dennae Tate
June 14, 2017 8:33 am
Reply to  Tova

Same issue. Just updated in the last 2 days and no videos will play on instagram. Annoying to say the least!!

perla
perla
August 9, 2017 4:13 pm
Reply to  Tova

I do. i dont know what to do, i have tried all type of troubleshooting, when i do it it work for a couple of videos and then stops playing again. The funny thing is that the videos on the stories and the sponsors they play.

1 2 3 9

Get to know your phone!

If you just learned something new about your phone, and want more of that, subscribe to our newsletter.

We guarantee 100% privacy. Your name/email address will never be shared.