Have you ever being completely bamboozled by sudden changes in percentages shown by your battery indicator? This is quite a common thing after you’ve used a handset for an extended period of time. “But, why?”, you might ask. Well, we made sure to explain it below.
Even better, we provided you with a way to get precise readings on your device without too much hustle.
Why does the battery indicator show a different percentage?
The reasons behind these erratic battery readings are mostly the battery being uncalibrated. Namely, after some time of use, batteries will degrade. The initial mAh capacity value will fall down over time. The device sensors would not be able to pick up on that and that’s why you’ll get a mixed percentage.
So, for example, your battery might be at 90% and then it suddenly, in a matter of minutes, switches to 80%. And then it’s stuck at 80% for an extended period of time. It’s impossible for a battery to deplete that fast, which points towards false readings.
There are certain third-party apps that can give you better wear details about battery degradation. But that’s of no big importance in the grand scheme of things. The important thing to do is to recalibrate the battery. We explain how to do it below.
- Discharge your phone fully until the phone turns off.
- Turn it on again and wait until it turns off..
- Plug your phone into a wall socket, without turning it on, charge it until the on-screen indicator says ”100 percent”.
- Unplug your device.
- Turn your device on. If the battery percentage is not at 100%, plug the charger again until the UI shows that the battery is 100% full.
- Unplug your phone and restart it. If the battery is still not at 100%, plug in the charger and charge it until the battery is 100% full.
- Repeat this cycle until it says 100 percent.
- Now, discharge your battery until the phone turns off by itself.
- Fully charge the battery one more time. Don’t turn on the device or disrupt charging.
After that, readings of the battery percentage should be more on point. In order to keep battery readings precise, we recommend recalibrating battery every 2 months by following the aforementioned procedure.
In case you have any questions or suggestions concerning battery calibration, make sure to tell us in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you.