Using group texts in iMessage is convenient and easy. However, there’s a set of simple rules you need to follow if you want to manage your group chats efficiently. If you don’t, there’s a chance you won’t be able to add or remove someone in a group text on your iPhone. That’s where we come in, to remind you about these requirements.
Table of contents:
- Make sure everyone’s using an Apple device
- Make sure there are enough people
- Update iOS
- Restart iMessage
- Bonus: How to create a group chat on iPhone
- Bonus: How to remove someone from a group text on iPhone
Why can’t you add or remove someone in a group text on iPhone?
Here are the most common reasons why you can’t add or remove someone in a group chat on your iPhone:
- The person you’re trying to add doesn’t use an Apple device
- There aren’t enough people inside the group
- Software bugs
Make sure everyone’s using an Apple device
You can’t add a person that’s not using an Apple device to an iMessage group chat. And there’s no way around it. Since iOS handles group texts specifically through iMessage, it’s impossible to add someone who doesn’t have access to the service. That’s why you cannot create SMS/MMS groups on your iPhone. On top of that, the person you’re trying to add has to have iMessage enabled on their device.
So, before trying to add a person to your group text, make sure that person is inside Apple’s ecosystem. It doesn’t matter if they’re using an iPhone, iPad, or iPad touch, as long as they have access to iMessage. If you’re not sure whether the person you’re trying to add to your group text uses an iOS device, you can tell by the color of their texts.
Make sure there are enough people
According to Apple, you can only remove someone from the group text if there are more than 4 people in it. On top of that, everyone needs to be using an Apple device (iPhone or iPad). That makes sense because removing a person from a group of three would turn that chat private, which isn’t possible.
Once you create a group chat, you can’t revert it back to a two-person thread. Your only option is to delete the group.
The purpose of iOS updates is to introduce new features and improve the stability and security of your device. However, some updates can cause problems, mainly because of bugs. It’s possible that the most recent iOS update messed up with iMessage, which could prevent you from adding or removing someone in a group text.
If that’s the case, your best bet is probably to wait for another update, as Apple will certainly tackle the problem in some of the upcoming iOS releases. To check for new iOS updates, head over to Settings > General > Software Update. If the new update is available, install it and check if the problem still occurs.
If you’re still unable to add or remove people to your group text, try the centuries-old trick of turning something off and on again. In this case, we will be applying this advanced troubleshooting method to iMessage. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Messages and toggle the iMessage option off.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Go back to settings, and enable iMessage.
Bonus: How to create a group chat on iPhone
In case you’re not sure how to even create a group text on iPhone, here’s a quick guide to help you:
- Open Messages.
- Tap the Compose button in the upper-right corner.
- Add the contacts you want to send the message to.
- Tap the Send button, and you’re inside the group text now.
Now, if you want to add more people to your group text, do the following:
- Go to the group message you want to add someone to.
- Tap the group icons at the top.
- Tap the gray arrow to the right of the contacts, then tap Add Contact.
- Type the contact that you want to add, then tap Done.
Bonus: How to remove someone from a group chat on iPhone
Here’s how to remove someone from a group chat on iPhone:
- Open the group text that has the person you want to remove.
- Tap the group icons at the top of the thread.
- Tap the gray arrow icon to the right of the contacts, and then swipe left over the name of the person you want to remove.
- Tap Remove, and then Done.
That’s about it, I hope this article helped you to better understand the way iMessage works. If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, feel free to let us know in the comments down below.