Apple News is great for curating digital news, with a variety of sources and topics available. Not to mention that you can also listen to the news instead of reading them if that’s your cup of tea. However, for a couple of years now, users are reporting that Apple News is not loading news, nor updating the Top or Trending Stories.
If you are among those users, make sure to check the steps we listed below.
Table of contents:
- Force close the app and restart your device
- Disable Low Power Mode
- Update iOS
- Make sure you are connected to the internet
- Remove the app and reinstall it
How to fix Apple News issues on iOS
1. Force close the app and restart your device
Let’s start by force closing the app and restarting the device. This usually helps with app issues on iOS. Just bring up Recents and swipe Apple News up or down to close it.
After that, power off your iPhone or iPad and power it on again. If Apple News is still not loading, make sure to check the next step.
2. Disable Low Power Mode
Low Power Mode is great for saving battery but, in order to reduce battery consumption, it definitely limits some app functionalities. So, based on user reports, disabling Low Power Mode fixed the Apple News loading issues completely.
If you are not sure how to disable Low Power Mode, here’s how to do it in a few simple steps:
- Open Settings.
- Tap Battery.
- Disable Low Power Mode.
- Open Apple News and check if the issue is resolved.
3. Update iOS
There were debates if this weird bug is related to a certain iOS iteration or it concerns the app itself. However, based on reports, the latest version of iOS (14+) doesn’t have any issues with Apple News.
So, make sure you are running the latest firmware version available on your device. Here’s how to check for updates:
4. Make sure you are connected to the internet
Of course, this goes without saying but Apple News won’t load stories and news on chosen topics if there’s no internet connection. Now, Wi-Fi shouldn’t be an issue but if you are using cellular data, make sure to allow News to connect. In addition, make sure to grant Apple News permission to refresh in the background.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Settings.
- Select News from the list of apps.
- Enable Cellular Data and Background App Refresh.
- Also, disable Restrict Stories in Today if the option is enabled. Some even suggest enabling/disabling this option as it fixes the bug.
If Apple News is still not loading, we suggest reinstalling the app.
5. Remove the app and reinstall it
Finally, you can try and reinstall the app. We hope that this would be a definite solution but there are no clear signs of it. Some users fixed the problem by simply disabling Low Power Mode while others went as far as resetting the device to factory values but to no avail.
Nonetheless, it’s worth a try so here’s how to reinstall Apple News on your iPhone or iPad:
- Tap & hold on the Apple News Home Screen shortcut.
- Tap Remove App.
- Select Delete App and confirm when prompted.
- Restart your device.
- Open App Store.
- Look for Apple News and install the app.