There are so many instant messengers nowadays that share similar traits and users are not sure which to use. Telegram is one of those that are slowly emerging as a go-to option for users that put privacy and multi-platform usability above everything else.
The Telegram instant messenger is stable and reliable, but there are some issues that can affect it from time to time. For that purpose, we enlisted the most common issues with workarounds. In case you’ve experienced something unusual, make sure to check the list below. In addition, the Telegram developers are always open to help. So, if you’re unable to resolve the issue with the presented workarounds, you can contact them here.
How to resolve Telegram issues on Android phones
Can’t install Telegram
This is an obvious problem. In order to use this nifty instant messenger, you’ll need to install it from the Play Store. However, some users have had issues with the installation in the first place. The first thing you should check is the system requirements. And these are the requirements you have to meet in order to install and run Telegram on your Android handset:
- Android version of the 4.0 KitKat and above.
- Cellular number.
- Multiple permissions that include: camera, contacts, location, microphone, phone, SMS, storage and others.
If you meet those requirements and grant permissions but you’re still unable to install the app, you should clear Play Store cache and try again. If the problem is persistent nonetheless, we advise you to try the APK file and install Telegram that way. These are the instructions you should follow in order to download and install the APK file:
- Download the wanted version’s APK here to your PC.
- Extract the file with WinRar or similar tool until you have the APK file.
- Connect the Android device to the PC via USB and transfer the APK file to internal memory.
- Navigate to Settings > Advanced Settings > Security, and enable Unknown sources.
- Use a native file explorer or File Explorer to navigate to the folder where the APK file is stored.
- Tap to install the APK file.
- After the process is finished, you should be able to run Telegram.
Make sure to obtain the app from the trusted source.
Messages fail to deliver
Certain users reported that, no matter how many times they try, recipients can’t see their messages. This is a major issue since it completely deflates the usability of this usually great instant messenger. What you need to do when something like this occurs is to check further steps and look for changes.
- Make sure that the message is sent in the first place. Check connection and look for the 2 check marks.
- Confirm that the recipient hasn’t blocked you.
- Something with notifications can be the issue. Maybe the check marks aren’t displaying properly even though the message is indeed delivered and read.
- The Secret Chat function is device-related. If you (and your recipient) configured this feature on certain devices, they can be accessed only through that exact device.
Moreover, you can try to clear the cache and, eventually, reinstall the app, if the problem is persistent.
To clear the Telegram’s cache, follow the instructions below:
- Tap Settings.
- Open Apps or Application manager.
- Open Telegram.
- Choose Storage.
- Clear cache.
- Restart your handset and look for changes.
On the other hand, if you’re in need for more drastic approach, this is how to reinstall Telegram:
- Open the App drawer or App menu.
- Tap and draw the Telegram shortcut to the top to uninstall it.
- Restart your device.
- Open Play Store.
- Search for Telegram.
- Choose Install.
- Follow the in-app instructions to configure your Telegram settings.
This should relieve you of the issues.
Can’t import contacts
As you’re probably aware, most of the instant messengers (including Telegram) need your number in order to connect with the contacts. Basically, all folks in your contacts list that use the Telegram instant messenger, should be added to your in-app contacts after you connect your device. Sadly, it seems that there is a bug that blocks the import of individual contacts. There are some things that you can do in order to overcome this obstacle.
- Stop the app or restart your device. Just open the Active Apps window and stop Telegram.
- Change some letters in the troubled contact. In addition, if you use non-alphabetical symbols (that differ from standard English), try renaming them. Once the contact is imported, you can restore its original name.
- Make sure that the permission is granted. Telegram needs permission to access your Contacts. To make sure that’s the case, follow these instructions:
- Tap Settings.
- Open Permissions.
- Tap Contacts.
- Enable Telegram.
With that, you should be able to import all contacts.
The Telegram instant messenger has two ways to present you with the notifications. One is, obviously, Google Cloud Messaging notification service that is an Android built-in feature. The second and primary was is app-related and it depends on various phone settings. Namely, certain Android features on specific Android devices tend to block notifications in order to reduce the power consumption. That’s the main reason why you’re not seeing notifications on your device.
Accordingly, you have to make sure that the phone settings are optimized for background use of Telegram. These are some things you have to do in order to receive the notifications as intended.
- Install the latest app version. Navigate to Play Store and check for updates.
- Check in-app settings. Open Telegram > 3-line menu > Settings > Notifications and Sounds. Make sure that Message and Group alerts are enabled.
- Enable Keep-Alive Service and Background Connection. Open Telegram > 3-line menu > Settings > Notifications and Sounds. Scroll down until you reach Other. There you can enable both Keep-Alive Service and Background Connection.
- If your handset packs a system manager of some kind, there’s a chance that it reads Telegram as a power-intensive app and prevent notifications. Navigate to the manager app and set Telegram as a protected app or enable it to work in the background freely.
- Enable Lock Screen notifications in the phone settings.
Telegram can’t connect
When it comes to connection, the problem is, at least most of the time, not app-related. Most of the time, the problem lies within your Wi-Fi configuration and/or its overall instability. There are some usual troubleshooting steps you can take in order to resolve this problem. Additionally, you can wait for some time since the cloud nature of Telegram means that sometimes the service might be down.
- Reset your phone and wireless router.
- ‘Forget’ your network and reconnect again.
- Use 2.4Ghz signal instead of 5Ghz. With Nougat, the option to change Wi-Fi signal is removed so you’ll have to change your router configuration or use third-party programs and tweak settings.
- Reset Network Settings.
- Try switching from Wi-Fi to 3G and vice versa.
- There’s a chance that crowded public networks won’t work as a home network.
Moreover, if other connection-dependent apps work great, you can try the following steps:
- Force Stop app.
- Clear apps cache and data.
- Reinstall the app.
- Disable proxy within the phone and app’s settings.
”Last seen” isn’t displayed correctly
”Last seen” feature is vastly spread on all known instant messengers. And Telegram isn’t excluded. However, some users reported issues with this function. Occasionally, they can’t see the ”Last seen” information or the time showing isn’t properly displayed. For that purpose, we advise you to follow the steps below and look for changes.
- Restart your app.
- Since Telegram uses automatically your time zone. If you’ve tweaked date and time on your own, there’s a chance that you’ll see different information.
- Clear app cache.
- Reinstall the app.
That should conclude our list. Telegram is an amazing and often over criticized without the proper reasons, so we advise all to at least give it a try. What are your thoughts on Telegram? Don’t forget to post your questions or suggestions in the comments section below.
We hope that this was a helpful read. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.